ALSC Blog - A blog about a blog

ALSC Blog

Many Children, Many Cultures, Many Books: Fifteen Years of Dia
by Jeanette Larson

El dia de los niƱos/El dia de los libros  is a celebration of bilingual literacy which started in 1996 and takes place yearly on April 30th. The mission of this celebration is to spread “bookjoy” by connecting children of all cultures with books. In the future, Jeanette mentions the need to incorporate more languages to Dia in order to support all cultures.


Professional Reading: The Art of Storytelling: Telling Truths through Telling Stories by Teresa Walls

Teresa Walls writes about the book The Art of Storytelling: Telling Truths through Telling Stories written by Amy E. Spauldings. After reading her review, I am interested in reading this book. I do not think of myself as much of a storyteller and feel that I should be better at it.


Last Day for Summer Online Courses! by Dan Rude

This post includes links to the ALSC Online Course schedule and registration as well as the name and number of the person to contact.


 Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high! by Mary Voors

This post is about a possible upcoming flash mob being led by LeVar Burton. LeVar Burton was the host of Reading Rainbow, a television show that ended in 2009. I loved watching Reading Rainbow. I think I picked up a book and read at the end of every show!


The Image of Intellectual Freedom  by Heather Acerro

Heather Acerro talks about a book she read titled The Future of Us. She thought it was a great story until she got to the part where the librarian is telling a patron what his friend was reading and doing in the library! I am in shock too!! Ms. Acerro’s point is that we need to protect our patron’s privacy and they need to know that we will. We need to do everything we can to protect our image as librarians as well.


Take a Trip Through Books  by abbylibrarian

This children’s librarian shares how she took her book club on a trip to Bangladesh through books. They cooked, found Bangladesh on the map, discussed the book, and made a craft. She pulled copies of the book and books about India and Bangladesh so the kids could read through them and learn more about the culture. The kids enjoyed themselves and I enjoyed this post. I am now following Abby’s blog.

I’ve really enjoyed reading the posts on the ALSC Blog. I will continue to follow this blog. They have fun posts as well as educational ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment